Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Final Project for AU375

Nexuiz is an open source First Person Shooter (FPS). The graphics are outdated since it is based on the original Quake Engine but it is a lot of fun to play on whatever computer you have. Since it does not require DirectX but instead uses OpenGL, you can run it on any platform which is a huge plus.

For the audio, most everything is in either ogg or wav form. I turned to a couple of programs that I had used in the past in order to create my sound effects and music to replace the current sounds in the game.

By unpacking the dataxxxxxx.pk3 file, I was able to enter into the sound directory where all the files are stored. For this assignment, I choose to make the modifications to the weapons because, well, weapons sounds are fun!

There are quite a number of files in there and at first I didn’t like the naming scheme they had chosen. It was just not consistent with all the other names.

Grabbing a sound library that I purchased at Sound Ideas, I was able to get a base sound from the library and then change the pitch, add echoes or resample to get the sound that was floating around in head. Using Sound Forge 9.0 I was able to achieve this.

The music was of a techno nature, which I enjoy the hell out of. I decided to try my own hand at creating a techno track using Acid Pro 6.0. Building the tracks was quite simple and changing the tempo and pitch was a snap! Exporting to the mp3 and ogg was very simple and made the process extremely easy.

I had learn much in this class as the lectures were very informative and for someone with no audio experience, I was able to pick up a lot that I didn’t know before.

I hope you all enjoy the sounds and music that I have created. Email me if you have any questions!

No comments: